Homesick? Make this savory pot roast and it will remind you of life before adult responsibilities! Garlic infused, with organic carrots and potatoes. Delicious every time.
- 1 chuck or rump roast ,allow 1/2 to 1 1/2 lbs. per person
- 1 large onion ,sliced
- 6 cloves garlic ,sliced
- 6-8 carrots , cut into bite size pieces
- 4-5 Russet potatoes , cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups water or beef broth
- 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
Preheat oven to 325F
Using a sharp knifetip, cut small slits into the roast; about 8 - 12, depending on how much garlic you like
Slice garlic lengthwise and insert into the slits in the meat
Season meat generously with salt and pepper
Add oil to heavy bottom skillet at medium to medium-high temperature
Using tongs, place roast in hot oil; cook for about 3 minutes, or until roast is browned; flip roast and cook the other side
Using tongs, hold the roast to sear the sides of the roast
Place roast in roasting pan; add onions and potatoes; season with salt and pepper
Combine liquid with dry soup mix in a bowl; pour over roast
After roast has cooked for about 3 hours, add carrots
- Add other vegetables to the roast about an hour before serving: squash, zucchini, parsnips
- If you don't have time to sear the roast, don't worry about it. Just season the roast and put in in the roasting pan.
- I prefer to cook my roast in the oven because it makes my whole house smell good:) A slow cooker will take about 8 hours to cook; oven cooking takes about 4-6.