This quick and easy catfish recipe brings out the flavors of the fish and results in a nice, crispy crust.
- 2 catfish filets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 cup high heat oil (vegetable, canola)
Instructions for Filet Preparation
- Pat dry filet with paper towels and place in baking dish
- Pour buttermilk over filets; turn filets to coat both sides
- Season with salt and cayenne pepper
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes
Instructions for Frying Filet
- Heat oil on medium high heat
- In two separate pie plates, add eggs and cornmeal
- Season cornmeal with salt, pepper and cayenne
- Coat filet in eggs then cornmeal and place in hot oil
- Allow filet to cook about 4 minutes; then turn
- Drain on paper towel
When you’re cooking catfish, don’t turn it more than once if you can help it. Make sure your heat is high enough, but not too high; the heat should be around 350°.
When you dredge the catfish in eggs, do not wipe off the buttermilk.
Fried catfish goes well with No Mayo Coleslaw