- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil for pan
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a big bowl, stir and combine cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a second bowl, stir and combine slightly beaten egg, milk, buttermilk and baking soda
- Pour wet contents into dry, combine; add 1/4 cup vegetable oil to mixture; allow to sit for 3 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a heavy-bottom skillet (preferably cast-iron) heat 1 tablespoon of oil on medium-high heat
- Add cornbread mixture to hot skillet and allow it to cook for about a minute
- Transfer to hot oven and bake until golden brown
- Remove from oven and butter the top of cornbread
Cornbread does not contain sugar, nor is cornbread gluten-free.
The following is an estimate of nutrients in one slice of cornbread.