Black Eyed Peas
- 1 lb. dried peas
- 6 -8 cups water or broth
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, add peas, water or broth to boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat to low, cover an simmer until peas are tender
- Add seasonings to taste
- Best when served with homemade cornbread!
- Collards, or any green can be added about mid-way through the cooking process
- If you want a more complex dish, make Hoppin’ John: a combination of peas, rice and ham; usually cooked with chopped onion and bell pepper
- Some make a “chow-chow”-like dish with the peas. Drain peas; allow to cool; add chopped onion, tomato, bell pepper and serve as a dip